Last Call (Cocktail #4.5) by Alice ClaytonLast Call by Alice Clayton
Published January 2015
Series: Cocktail #4.5
Genres: Contemporary Romance
three-half-stars
Format: eBook
Buy it on Amazon
Check it out on Goodreads

Simon and Caroline are back for another round of baking, banging, and big life changes. Settling in, but never settling down, Caroline has finally struck a balance between the professional and the personal. As one of the top interior designers in San Francisco, she travels all over Northern California between nook time with Simon.

Perpetual globetrotter Simon has cut his frequent flyer miles in half over the last year, preferring to balance his professional and personal life, as well.

The next step in their lives seems preordained—toasts, veils, and the aisle of rose petals. But when an accident on a photo shoot in Southeast Asia brings Caroline the most terrifying phone call she could ever imagine, she has to ask whether “till death do us part” is a more realistic prospect than faces most couples.

The 5th book in the Cocktail Series brings back our beloved wallbanger Simon and nighty-girl Caroline from Book #1 entitled Wallbanger. While we followed their close friends and familyn get hitched throughout the other books of series, Simon and Caroline have been living on their merry couple life with their cat harem.

Simon and Caroline have certainly never spoken of marriage and don’t feel like this is a necessary next step. But now that it gets to a point where everyone else is either getting married or expecting, there might be some pressure arising, and some unacknowledged longing for the happily ever after. Will the couple follow into their friends’ footsteps or will they remain the attached yet unattached and carefree couple we know them to be?

What I loved about this book:

  • Caroline and Simon really get the swoonfactor started!

What I felt needed improvement:

  • The storyline was rather flat
  • The book was too short for my taste, and only actually ran up to 85%

For all of those who were craving to find out more about Caroline, Simon and their cat-harem, Last Call will come as a salvation. I would definitely qualify Last Call as a short-story, because it only runs up to 85% of the book (the remaining 15% being excerpts from previous Cocktail novels).

Thankfully, it is no different from other Alice Clayton books, and still contains the sass, humour, and steamy scenes we know as this author’s trademark. I was however disappointed at the fact that the storyline was pretty flat and uneventful, except for what happens towards the end.

It was a nice, short, and entertaining insight into Caroline and Simon’s life and the pressure that’s unconsciously put on them as couples they befriend are in a marriage and baby-induced haze. But it wasn’t exactly mindblowing, and I even found it a tad rushed.

That’s probably the reason why I would only give this 3.5 stars, but if you are a die-hard fan of the Cocktail Series, you can definitely check it out. If you aren’t, however, familiar with the Cocktail series, you might want to read at least Wallbanger and Rusty Nailed, because otherwise you would just be confused.

Detailed Rating
Storyline
3 Stars
Characters
4 Stars
Writing
5 Stars
All the feels
3 Stars
Overall: three-half-stars